Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Grandma's Cherry Pie

 














Grandma’s Cherry Pie

Hey Grandma, I made a cherry pie last night

Mixed it up with memories tugging at my side

Used your crock, cracked with time

Saw a family running fast

Felt a world of love and pride

The sifter still works fine

And the rolling pin, she still rolls

And I wondered just how many hearts and how many tears

Did this piece of rolled wood so quietly mend

As we fought the wars in search of peace

Through these many happy years

The plate was worn from your crusts before mine

But it still holds cherries, love and so much more

And I thought, as I held my own family close and tight

I will savor this pie and all it means

With every loving moving bite

Yea, I made a cherry pie last night…

 

Ronald J. Unterreiner


No comments: