Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Did you forget something?

It’s not funny. I lose track of stuff all the time. I lost two important flash drives at Starbucks for a whole week. I lost track of my briefcase at a design firm I was working with on a project. (The place isn’t that big either. Believe me.) I go into panic mode when I don’t know where I left my wallet, keys, phone or some guy’s business card. Am I losing my marbles?

Alzheimer's disease is a progressive, degenerative disorder that attacks the brain's nerve cells, or neurons, resulting in loss of memory, thinking and language skills, and behavioral changes. Tragically, I saw my mother succumb to this disease. She died this past year. Ironically, she was always fond of saying “I’ll do anything for you kids as long as you remember.” I hope to God I am only absent-minded but you have to wonder sometimes.

One thing I have to point out before the readers of this article jump to conclusions, I am trying to manage a business all by myself. I am my own brand. I am a company of one. I have no receptionist. I have no secretary. Yet, I am calling on prospects, trying to keep projects on schedule, networking and volunteering. Of course, I am also trying to stay current on personal business - like keeping my car running (in spite of an odometer that had passed 100,000 miles) and paying utility bills.

I have spent most of my working life working for others. Companies have structure and staff you take for granted until you are trying to run your own show. I know what I am doing is not for everybody and maybe it isn’t even right for me. (Some days I wonder.) But, every now and then I make something happen that is remarkable. (If I do say so myself.) Something that would never have happened if it hadn’t been for a little initiative. It is so great to make things happen.

If I can keep track of your wallet, keys, my cell phone and don’t quit – just maybe I will be able to earn my way. How about you?

No comments: